Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Step 3 Teach Hubby to pay the bills

In my last post, I mentioned that my husband agreed to pay some of the bills so I didn't have to worry about them quite so much. It didn't even occur to me (DUH!) that he wouldn't know how to pay those bills. I did send him the link to pay the electric bill, and gave him the username and password to sign in. I forgot completely that the electric company's website can be difficult at best to navigate.

Note for the rest of the month: Hubby and I should actually sit down together and pay the bills, so he can learn how to pay them. We've been together a little over 6 years, and it's the first time that he's actually paid the bills. The last time we were doing the budget together, he was willing to sit down and do the budget with me, but it was still my responsibility to pay the bills. At that time, it didn't seem to be a big deal.

I guess I have started worrying that if something happened to me, he would be totally lost. I'm trying to fix that sooner rather than later. Part of living proactively, rather than reactively.

If you were to suddenly be not able to do the finances for your household, would your spouse be able to take over? Or, if you're not the one who handles the finances, would you be able to take over? A good thing to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment